Sometimes, a little bit of learning is all you need to move closer to your writing goals. Maybe you just need to brush up on your writing skills but don’t invest in a class or read a book.
What if there were an inexpensive, convenient, and quick way to receive instruction on exactly what you need to learn? Would you be interested? Then Instruction On Demand may be your answer.
All videos are taken from the proven Finish My Book in 90 Days and Edit Like an Expert coaching programs and come with note-taking outlines, practice exercises, and handouts—everything you need to improve the skills you most want to master.
These step-by-step instructional guides, selected from the more than 150 videos in the series, are taught by Patricia Charpentier, writing instructor, coach, and editor since 1999 and multi-award-winning author of Eating an Elephant: Writing Your Life One Bite at a Time. The videos are designed to take you from where you are to where you want to be as a writer.
Receive help with everything from project development, organizing your material, adding power to your sentences, fashioning scenes, writing dialogue, and more. Although originally recorded with the memoirist in mind, many fiction writers sing the praises of these videos, saying: Good writing is good writing, regardless of the genre.
Video run times vary based on the subject discussed but usually last between fifteen and forty-five minutes.
Order any of the following titles, build your own writing library, and with lifetime access, watch as many times as you’d like. Videos priced at $19.95 each.
- Project Overview – Learn the importance of answering the who, what, when, where, why, and how of your book.
- Generating Story Ideas – Staring at a blank page? Find solutions to this issue and more in this video.
- Brainstorming – Learn several different ways to brainstorm, following helpful rules.
- Write Now, Organize Later – Learn how to organize a large project, so it feels manageable and efficient.
- Specificity – This video tells you all about specificity and how this one simple tool helps you write like a pro.
- Sensory Detail – This video discusses how to use your five senses to transform your descriptive writing.
- Verbs Are Our Friends – This video helps you make friends with the part of speech that takes your writing from functional to fabulous.
- Moments to Memoir – Utilize tools in this video and determine if your story is the right size for the moment you wish to capture.
- Writing About People – Find out how to bring the people in your stories to life on the page.
- Let the People Speak – Learn what dialogue is and is not and overcome any fear and resistance to writing it.
- Writing Good Dialogue – Discover how to write good dialogue. Hint: It’s easier than you think.
- Set the Stage – Learn practical tips on how to bring the places in your stories to life with well-chosen, significant, and sense-awakening details.
- Make a Scene – This video is chock-full of information, tips, and examples that make your scenes sing.
- Showing Emotion – Learn to identify signs that indicate whether you’re showing or telling emotion.
- Simile and Metaphor – Everything you ever wanted to know about similes and metaphors and how best to use them in your stories.
- Writing Titles – Learn the nuts and bolts of writing titles, including the process, tips, subtitles, and punctuation.
- Fifteen Ways to Generate Titles – Here are fifteen specific ways to generate titles that do justice to your stories.
- Story Openings – This video provides examples of effective story openings and much more.
- Story Endings – This video discusses what a story ending should do and reviews some of the many types of story ending options available.
- Story Structure – Consider how you might want to create story structure when the time is right.
- Reading Like a Writer – What is reading like a writer? What is close reading and how can you practice it? Fair warning…this video has been accused of ruining people’s mindless reading.