This Week’s Writing Prompt
Many people have close relationships with their pets. They treat their dogs, cats, birds, snakes, hamsters, lizards, pigs, or other animals as members of the family. Also, the bonds formed between animals and humans have long been sources of emotional health, accounting for the rise in therapy and emotional support animals in recent years. Not only do these furry, feathered, or scaly friends bring us joy, but they also nurture a sense of wellbeing in their human counterparts.
What about you? Think of an animal with which you have or have had a special bond.
- Describe your pet.
- What was his or her name? How did that name come about?
- Tell us about the relationship you shared with this animal.
- How did the two of you communicate?
- What were some benefits you experienced because of this relationship?
- Write the story of a meaningful moment between you and your animal.
- What happened?
- What did this moment mean to you?
- Be sure to include sensory details and show—don’t tell—the emotions felt and observed.